Posted by eileen on February 12, 2010
The photos taken on Snapshot Day are posted on WPL’s Facebook page. Check them out! Maybe you’ll even see someone you know. Also, become a fan of our Facebook page to get library updates! Some of the photos can also be viewed at the library’s Flickr page and in the Illinois Snapshot Day group.
Posted by eileen on January 14, 2010
Battle of the Books has taken place at WPL since 1987. Fourth and fifth graders from area schools come to the library on weekday afternoons and “battle” by answering questions from various books chosen for the year. This year’s book list includes favorites like A Wrinkle in Time, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and The Borrowers. See the full list on our website. Come and cheer on your favorite team Monday-Thursday at 4pm in the Large Meeting Room or just view the scores online!
Posted by eileen on November 23, 2009
There are so many wonderful things about the holiday season! Here are my Top Ten Favorite Things about Thanksgiving and a corresponding library item or website to go with each thing.
1. Spending time with family and friends – Relatives and Reunions – Connecting with Family from About.com, Take Better Family Portraits and Photos from hp.com
2. Eating mashed potatoes – The Spud Book: 101 Ways to Cook Potatoes
3. Decorating – Thanksgiving Fun: Great Things to Make and Do
4. Watching a favorite funny holiday movie – A Christmas Story
5. Cooking – Betty Crocker Complete Thanksgiving Cookbook : All You Need to Cook a Foolproof Dinner
6. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade – Official Website
7. Reading some favorite books to my niece and nephew – The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners
8. Black Friday Sales! - Black Friday 2009 Countdown: Final Week of Deals,Tips, & News from USA Today online
9. Watching Football – Football for Dummies
10. Sleeping in – The Harvard Medical School Guide to a Good Night’s Sleep
What are your favorite things about Thanksgiving?
Posted by eileen on September 15, 2009
Here’s a great, new opportunity to visit museums in the area through the library. The Museum Adventure Pass presented by Macy’s allows you to check out passes from your local library for a number of museums in the Chicagoland area. The loan period for the pass is 7 days. Some of the passes are for free admission while others are for discounts. For more information on the program, along with a list of participating libraries and museums, check out the Museum Adventure Pass website.
In order to check out museum passes at the Wheaton Public Library, you need to have a Wheaton Public Library card. The passes can be picked up at the Children’s Department desk. Come take advantage of this great program!
Originally posted by Rachel, Children’s Dept.
Posted by eileen on August 4, 2009
Bill Hooper and His Live Action Band will be playing the library’s West Plaza on Wednesday, August 5 at 7pm. Don’t miss this wonderful family event! The library has limited outdoor seating, so please bring chairs, blankets, etc. This awesome concert is to celebrate the end of the Summer Reading Program. The library had many programs throughout the summer. Check out the photos on our Flickr page!
From the Monarch Magic program last week.
Posted by eileen on June 12, 2009
Check out our newest photos on the WPL Flickr page!
Also, don’t forget to read the latest Children’s Chatter entries!
Andy Head 008
Originally uploaded by Wheaton Public Library